Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Diagnosis

What does this mean for our family's future?

If your story is similar to mine, the diagnosis of dementia has evolved over time.  For many years my husband has suffered from increasing attention issues, memory issues, self-control issues, anger, aggression, and executive dys-function.  Yet for me, hearing the diagnosis came as a shock. "Dementia?!  My husband's too young to have something like that!"  What I thought had been symptoms related to depression, were in reality much deeper neurological problems caused by a specific type of dementia.  My husband is a former college and pro football player who has been diagnosed with a type of dementia that is caused by chronic head injuries he sustained while playing the sport he loved.

Paradigm Shift

Upon hearing the diagnosis come out of his doctor's mouth, it seemed as though my entire world began rotating upon a different axis.  The things I had always counted upon, will no longer be applicable.  The responsibilities of our family are solely upon my shoulders.  My husband and our three young sons will all be dependent upon me.  What am I supposed to do now?

So Many Questions

I am just beginning in the process of finding the best type of treatment, therapy and care for my husband, and I feel bombarded on every side with new responsibilities.  Applying for disability, grasping for answers about how to best prepare financially for the unknown road ahead, finding the "right" doctors and therapists in our area, battling the insurance company for coverage of his treatment, finding emotional support for our family, finding people to connect with who face similar issues, and simply learning to cope with this diagnosis have all consumed my time, energy and thoughts since mid-December when we learned the truth about his problems.

My Journey
This "diary" will chronicle my journey and provide insights into the things I learn about dealing with this type of patient in my home.  There is no blueprint or road map which has been handed to me thus far.  Here I will discuss family dynamics, treatment, therapies and simply how we handle life with our new brand of normal.  Any insight from readers will be greatly appreciated.  I definitely want to connect with others who have traveled down this same path, and will be most thankful for their advice, support and wisdom.

Right now it feels like a lonely road...

No comments:

Post a Comment