Thursday, January 10, 2013

2 Year "Anniversary"

Wow, it's been such a long time since I've updated anything here.  December 10, 2012, was the 2 year anniversary of my husband's diagnosis.  As you can imagine, I've been very busy handling life.  In some ways, we are better off than we were in the scary, tumultuous, early days of this journey.  I feel much more "stable" now, and I've learned a lot about concussions, CTE, dementia, insurance, disabilities, care giving, health care, Social Security Disability Insurance AND myself in the process.

Our family has slowly adjusted to our new "normal."  Our sons have all accepted that our home life is different, yet their relationship with their dad has been strengthened.  They now have a father who is home and always present.  Before, he was working all hours of the day, and they hardly saw him during the week.  The time they spend with him is a blessing.  The health care routine for my husband is now established and is working well at the present time.  I have adjusted to the fact that I am the bread winner for our family and care-giver for my husband, and I have figured out how to manage our lives given our new parameters.

Our oldest son graduated from high school in May and started his freshman year of college at University of Georgia.  Our middle son started driving this year (!), and our youngest son in on the brink of becoming a teenager.  In May I will officially have three teenage sons under one roof!  That thought used to scare me, but after what I've been through in the past two years, it pales in comparison.

I have a lot of information to share about our experiences over the past two years, and I will post them here as time allows.  I hope that some of the these lessons will be helpful to others who are caring for a loved one suffering from post-concussive issues.  I have forged many new friendships with other wives of former NFL players who are caring for their husbands with dementia related conditions.  The scary part is that I believe there are so many men out there who don't realize their problems are a result of concussion injuries incurred years ago as football players.

Until next time...I'm keeping the memory alive!


No comments:

Post a Comment